This Chicken Parmesan is the most flavorful chicken parm I have ever tasted! Pardon me for the humble brag, but I think it is top restaurant quality! The addition of fresh basil is not required to make it a good dish, but if you have it, it really makes this extra delicious!
This cooks in the oven, which leaves you free to focus on the other parts of your dinner, instead of standing over a frying pan. And it leaves your stove top burners available for boiling the noodles and heating the sauce. It comes together so easily!
I like to get a 32 oz. jar of Rao's Roasted Garlic Sauce so that I have plenty of sauce to pour over the top of the chicken, while also saving some for the spaghetti that I serve alongside this dish. This is not an ad, but have you tried that sauce? Yum! I love cooking from scratch, but when you have something that good there is no need to spend the time making your own!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts 3 large breasts or 6 cutlets
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- Place butter in a baking pan and melt in oven at 250 degrees.
- Meanwhile, mix together the bread crumbs, cheese, basil and seasonings in a shallow bowl (I like using a pie plate).
- Remove pan of melted butter from oven and raise oven temp to 350 degrees.
- Coat pieces of chicken in the melted butter in the pan, then coat with crumb mixture, pressing mixture into the chicken. Lay in a single layer in the remaining butter in pan.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Spread a couple of tablespoons of spaghetti sauce over each piece of chicken, then top each with a slice of mozzarella.
- Put back into the oven and cook an additional 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 and the cheese is bubbling.