If you have followed my menu plans for any length of time at all you know that I love curry! It very well may be my favorite food ever! I love trying new ways of making curry so that I can enjoy some variety while still having the base flavor that I love. While red curry is my go-to, it is very warm and perfect cold weather. This summer vegetable curry uses yellow curry, which is lighter and usually less spicy. It pairs perfectly with vegetables that are in season over the summer months.
Your Yellow Curry Paste is Important
The main flavor in this recipe comes from the yellow curry that you use. It can be hard to find yellow curry paste in the stores but don’t worry, there is a great brand on Amazon! Mae Ploy Yellow Curry Paste works really well in this recipe, and can be purchased as an individual package on Amazon. You can also make the paste yourself if you have a little bit of time. I recently used this Pinch of Yum Recipe. It was delicious and makes enough for several batches, so I separated it into individual freezer bags. Next time I want to make yellow curry I just have to pull out the bag and it is ready to use!
Summer Vegetables Are Interchangeable
If you can saute vegetables then you can make this summer vegetable curry! I listed the ingredients that I used, but the best part of this recipe is that you can use any vegetable combination you want! Depending on the vegetables you use, your cook times may be a little different. You don’t want soggy vegetables, so it’s important not to overcook! Here’s a guide to help you. I’ve listed these popular vegetable additions in order from the longest to the shortest cook time.
- Onions: 5 min-all day (as long as they are in a sauce)
- Potatoes: 20-30 minutes
- Green Beans: 10-15 minutes
- Eggplant: 10 minutes (remove water by salting for an hour, otherwise your curry will be watery and slimy)
- Peppers: 8-12 minutes
- Zucchini and Squash: 10 minutes
- Corn: 5-10 minutes
- Mushrooms: 5-10 minutes
Easy to Make Vegan
I use chicken as the protein for my curry, as I love chicken and it makes it a complete and filling meal. If you are using chicken, toss it in some curry paste and let it marinate while you are chopping your vegetables. This helps the chicken tenderize and also makes it really flavorful! If you want to skip the chicken and make it vegan, that’s really easy! Just leave out the chicken completely, or swap it out for tofu. Fish sauce is added right before serving to bring in a depth of flavor, but it can be left out. With all of these vegetables, you will still have a really delicious meal!
If you like Asian-style recipes, try my Savory Coconut Rice. It’s a staple in our home.
Summer Vegetable Curry
- 1 lb chicken, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup yellow curry paste, divided
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, quarter-sliced
- 1 cup summer squash, quarter-sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 cup corn
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- Toss chicken with 2 tablespoons curry paste. Marinate in refrigerator while chopping the vegetables.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add in chicken and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onions to pan and cook with chicken for 1-2 minutes. Add in peppers, then zucchini and saute for a couple of minutes longer, to sear slightly. (Corn can be added at this step, but I Iike to add it later so that it keeps a crunch.)
- Lower heat to medium and stir in remaining curry paste. Cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk and raise heat to bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, reduce to low heat. Taste the sauce. If you want to be spicier, remove a small amount of sauce to a small bowl. Mix in additional paste. Add back to pan and continue cooking. If it is too spicy, add more coconut milk.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in fish sauce. Serve over steamed rice.
*This page contains affiliate links. I do not link to products unless I really, truly like and use them! I do get a small compensation when you purchase items from the Amazon links on my site. The price is the exact same for you whether you purchase through the link or outside of them. I appreciate the support you give me by buying through these links!