It takes just 5 ingredients to make this Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole recipe. It is such a versatile recipe that takes just a few minutes of prep. And the best part is that you can bake it right away or store it in the refrigerator overnight.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Easy - This is such an easy hash brown casserole that uses just a handful of simple ingredients! In just minutes it can be baking in the oven, so it is perfect for busy mornings! And it is a great recipe to adapt by adding in your family's favorite ingredients.
Great for Meat Lovers - This recipe calls for 2 pounds of flavorful breakfast sausage, so you get some sausage in every bite! It is a filling casserole that makes a wonderful main dish if you are serving breakfast for dinner!
Can Be Made Ahead - Just like my Green Chile Breakfast Casserole, this easy recipe does not HAVE to be made ahead but it can be. So it is the perfect dish to have ready when hosting company or for a holiday meal.
See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full list of ingredients, including measurements.
Shredded Hash Browns - You can buy refrigerated or frozen hash browns, but they do need to be thawed completely. Once thawed, press the excess liquid out with a paper towel.
Sausage - Hot pork sausage adds a lot of flavor to this recipe using just one ingredient. If you are sensitive to spice then use mild sausage instead. Turkey sausage crumbles can also be used.
Eggs - This recipe calls for 8 large eggs.
Milk - Whole milk or low-fat milk will work.
Cheese - I love Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese for this recipe, but different cheeses can be substituted as long as they melt well. Just use your favorite!
How to Thaw Hash Browns
- Place your hash browns in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can also thaw frozen hash browns by placing them in a bowl on the counter for about an hour.
- Gently squeeze the shredded potatoes with a paper towel to remove excess moisture before placing them in the baking dish. This will help keep your casserole from being runny.
1) Brown Sausage
- Cook the sausage in a medium saucepan.
- Use a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage as it cooks.
2) Layer Ingredients
- Spread half of the hash browns evenly across the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Top with half of the sausage and half of the cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
3) Whisk Eggs & Milk
- Mix the eggs and milk together in a large bowl until they are fully incorporated.
- Add any seasonings, if using.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the casserole.
- You can bake it right away or cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you are ready to bake, place it in the oven uncovered and cook until the eggs are set.
- Serve the casserole just as it is, or top it with some diced green onions, hot sauce, avocados, or chopped tomatoes!
- I like to serve this with fresh fruit and French Toast Casserole.
Seasonings - Add additional flavor by stirring ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of paprika, or 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning into the egg mixture.
Vegetables - The easiest way to add vegetables is to use Southwest-Style Hash Browns, which have diced onions and bell peppers. Sauteed mushrooms or spinach would also be great additions.
Different Meat - Use bacon, ground beef, or ground turkey. Always cook the meat before adding it to the recipe.
Tater Tot Casserole - Combine the eggs and milk with the sausage and cheese. Spread into the baking dish and then top with tater tots instead of using hash browns.
Place leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Refrigerate individual portions in the microwave
Yes, assemble the casserole in a freezer-safe container and wrap it tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking. It may need an additional 10-15 minutes of baking time.
Yes, shred about 3 medium potatoes to get 20 ounces of shredded potatoes. Place them in a bowl of water to remove the starch then rinse them well. Repeat this process twice and pat the potatoes dry.
If your eggs are not fully cooked then your casserole may be runny so make sure you cook the casserole until the eggs are set. You can also end up with runny casserole if you did not drain the sausage or remove the excess moisture from the hash browns.
This recipe is a breakfast casserole made with eggs and sausage. Funeral potatoes can be served for breakfast, but are also served as a side dish. They usually have sour cream and cream of chicken soup and are often topped with cornflakes or potato chips.
More Breakfast Recipes
Let me know how you like this recipe by leaving a review! And follow along on Instagram @stateofdinner for behind-the-scenes and to be among the first to know when new recipes post!
5 Ingredient Hash Brown CasseroleRecipe by:
- 2 pounds hot breakfast sausage
- 20 ounces shredded hash browns thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheese (8 ounces)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk (250 ml)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Brown the sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat until there is no more pink. Drain the fat.2 pounds hot breakfast sausage
- Spread half of the hash browns in a 9x13 baking dish. Top with half of the crumbled sausage, then half of the cheese. Repeat the layers.20 ounces shredded hash browns, 2 cups shredded cheese
- Whisk the eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper, to taste (I use ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper) then pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the casserole ingredients.8 eggs, 1 cup milk, salt and pepper
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes, or until the eggs are set and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- For an egg casserole without layers, mix the cooked sausage with all of the remaining ingredients in one bowl, reserving 1 cup of cheese. Spread the mixture into the baking dish and top with the reserved cheese.
- Use southwest-style hash browns to add onions and peppers without any additional work.