This Sausage & Green Chile Breakfast Casserole recipe is an easy dish that is a crowd-pleasing hit! It is gluten-free and layered with tortillas, cheese, and eggs, with just the right amount of spice to be enjoyed by all!
Posts on this site may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure documents for more information.
Several years ago, a friend of mine shared a recipe for a really delicious green chile, tortilla, and egg casserole. It was an instant hit in our home! Over the years, I have adapted the recipe and we love it even more!
This casserole is now our Christmas breakfast tradition. I love that I can make it the day before and leave it overnight in the refrigerator. It goes into the oven when we begin opening our gifts, and is ready to serve right when everyone is starting to get hungry.
What Goes In Sausage & Green Chile Breakfast Casserole?
The ingredients are pretty simple, but together they make up a flavorful dish! Creamy eggs, offset by tortilla strips and sausage crumbles, then layered with gooey cheese. It is a wonderful alternative to the more typical hashbrown breakfast casserole.
Our oldest eats gluten-free, so this makes a perfect Christmas morning breakfast, as it is something we can all enjoy! While it has a hint of spice, it is mild enough for the kids.
3 Steps to an Easy Mexican Casserole
There is less than 10 minutes prep for this recipe. It is so easy!
- Brown your sausage and break it into crumbles. If you like chorizo, feel free to use that instead! The flavors are perfect for this recipe! While the sausage is browning, prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Chop tortillas into strips that are about ½ inch by 2 inches. There is no need to be precise here.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and spices together.
Layer the Ingredients
- Everything gets layered in halves. First, spread half of the green chile into the bottom of your baking dish. You don't need to drain the chiles. Just dump them in straight from the can. Top it with half of the tortillas, then half of the sausage, and half of the cheese.
- Repeat! You do almost the exact same thing again, spreading the remaining ingredients in another set of layers. The only thing I do differently with the second layer is I sprinkle the green chile in this time, as it is hard to spread it when there are other things in the pan.
- Then pour the egg mixture over the top of the cheese. The eggs will fill all of the empty crevices and bake into the best breakfast casserole you have ever had!
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, it will bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
What Should I Serve With Green Chile Breakfast Casserole?
I love to serve this with French Toast Casserole, as that can be made ahead as well, and cooked alongside this savory casserole.
Slice some oranges or your favorite fruit, and you have a complete meal!
Well, almost complete. This also pairs well with your favorite breakfast cocktails. Try it with a Paloma or a Tequila Sunrise!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are sensitive to spice, make sure you pick up the mild green chiles. It will say "mild" right on the front of the can. You can also reduce the chili powder by half.
If you want it extra spicy, get the hot green chili, and top your casserole with fresh jalapeno.
This is an easy recipe to cut in half! Layer in a 9x9 pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the center is no longer jiggly, and the top has browned.
The casserole can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead of time. Just keep it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
To reheat in the oven: Cover your dish with foil, and reheat at 350 for up to 15-30 minutes. (The exact time will depend on how much you are reheating.)
To reheat on the stove: Melt a tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium heat. Place casserole in the pan and cover with a lid. Cook until heated through.
To reheat in the microwave: It is recommended to reheat one serving at a time when using the microwave. Place on a microwave-safe plate and cover with plastic wrap. Reheat 1 minute at a time, until heated through.
Sausage Green Chile Breakfast CasseroleRecipe by:
- 1 pound hot bulk sausage
- 8 corn tortillas
- 16 ounces chopped green chiles (4-4 oz cans)
- 16 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- avocado slices, sour cream, and salsa, to serve
- Cook sausage in a saucepan over medium heat. Use a spoon to break the sausage into crumbles and cook 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Cut corn tortillas into strips.
- Spray a 9x9 or 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Spread half of the chiles onto the bottom of the baking dish.Sprinkle half of the tortilla strips over the chiles.Add half of the sausage on top of tortilla strips.Top with half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Beat milk and eggs together in a large bowl, until well-beaten. Add in the spices and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the layered ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.For a 9x13 pan, bake 50-60 minutes.For a 9x9 pan, bake 70-80 minutes.Remove from the oven once the middle is fully set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with avocado, sour cream, and salsa.