These easy S’mores Rice Krispie treats are the perfect mash-up of two childhood favorites. Graham cracker crumbs are mixed with gooey marshmallows and cereal, then topped with traditional s’mores ingredients to make these delicious treats!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
There is nothing like the flavor of s’mores to make you start feeling nostalgic. But this tasty treat doesn’t have to be limited to campfires!
This kid-friendly recipe is perfect for pool parties, school snacks, and backyard BBQs! And honestly, the adults are going to love them as much as the kids! They look and taste like something you'd buy at a bakery for five dollars a square. But they are so simple, you don't have to be a baker to make them.
If you like Rice Krispie Treats, be sure to also try these Chocolate Chip Rice Krispies!
Rice Cereal - This recipe is based on a traditional rice krispie treat, so of course it will have Rice Krispies in it! If you want a different flavor twist, check out the variations section of this post.
Chocolate - I use snack-size Hershey bars because the pieces are a perfect size. But you could also use chocolate chunks, regular or miniature chocolate chips, or regular milk chocolate bars, broken into chunks.
Miniature Marshmallows - For the actual Rice Krispie treats, large marshmallows or even marshmallow fluff could be used. (Reduce the butter to 1 tablespoon if using fluff.) But miniature marshmallows are best for the topping.
Graham Crackers - This recipe uses two sleeves of crackers. 1 sleeve is crushed into graham cracker crumbs and mixed in with the cereal. This gives the bars the taste of s'mores throughout, instead of just the topping. The other sleeve is broken into chunks for the topping.
Vanilla Extract - The secret ingredient that makes these s'mores treats taste as if they came from a bakery!
Step One: Melt Butter and Marshmallows
Microwave instructions: Place the marshmallows and butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, then stir the marshmallows and butter together. Place in the microwave an additional 30 seconds, then stir again. If there are still marshmallows that are not melted, continue to microwave in 10-second intervals, stirring each time, until the marshmallows are melted.
Stovetop instructions: Place the marshmallows and butter in a large saucepan or stockpot. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the butter and marshmallows are melted together. It is important to keep the heat on medium-low and melt slowly, so that the marshmallows don't burn, which will cause them to harden.
Step Two: Mix Together
Crush one sleeve of graham crackers into fine crumbs with a rolling pin or mallet. Or you can use your food processor.
Add the cereal and crushed graham crackers into the marshmallow mixture. Stir with a large spoon or spatula until the cereal and crackers are well-coated.
Tip: Spray a large rubber spatula with nonstick spray to prevent the marshmallow from sticking to it as you stir.
Step Three: Press into Pan
Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick spray, or coat with butter. If you have trouble with Rice Krispie Treats sticking in the pan, cut out a 9x13 rectangle of parchment paper and lay in the bottom of the pan.
Gently press the cereal mixture into the pan. Do not pack it in or your Rice Krispie treats will be hard. You just want to spread it fairly evenly throughout the pan.
Step Four: Layer Toppings
Break the remaining sleeve of graham crackers into chunks. Layer half of the graham chunks over the treats.
Sprinkle half of the chocolate chunks over the graham crackers. Repeat the layers.
Top with remaining marshmallows.
Step Five: Toast the Marshmallows
Turn your oven onto broil. Place the pan of treats into the oven by stay close by! The marshmallows can burn very quickly.
Check on them every 20 seconds or so. With most ovens, the marshmallows will become toasty in less than a minute.
If you have a kitchen torch then you can use this to toast the marshmallows instead of your oven broiler.
Allow the s'mores treats to cool completely.
When ready to slice, spray a sharp knife with nonstick cooking spray. This will help the slices to stay neat, and prevent the marshmallows from sticking to the knife.
- Use Golden Grahams instead of Rice Krispies for even more graham cracker flavor
- If you can't get enough chocolate, try Cocoa Krispies
- Dark chocolate Hersheys are a great variation when making these treats for adults (most kids prefer milk chocolate)
- To make it even more grown-up, add in 3 tablespoons of bourbon into the melted marshmallows
Frequently Asked Questions
They are best enjoyed on the same day as prepared. However, if you have leftovers, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
When marshmallows get old they lose moisture. This makes them clump instead of melting smoothly. Use fresh marshmallows for best results.
Let me know how you like this recipe by leaving a review! And follow along on Instagram @stateofdinner for behind-the-scenes and to be among the first to know when new recipes post!
Easy S'mores Rice Krispie TreatsRecipe by:
- 18 full graham cracker sheets (⅔ of a box)
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows (divided)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 8 ounces milk chocolate chunks (18 snack-sized Hershey bars, broken into chunks)
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- Put 9 graham cracker sheets into a large zip-top bag. Crush the crackers with a rolling pin or mallet, to make fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Place the butter, 6 cups of miniature marshmallows, and the vanilla extract into a large stock pan. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted.Alternatively, place in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. If the marshmallows are not yet melted after 1 minute, continue microwaving in 10-second intervals.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs and the rice cereal into the melted marshmallow mixture. Stir until the cereal and crumbs are completely coated with the marshmallows.
- Pour the marshmallow-cereal mixture into the 9x13-inch pan. Using your spatula, gently smooth out into bars, being careful not to pack in too firmly as that will make the bars stiff.
- Break the remaining graham crackers into chunks. Sprinkle half of the graham crackers over the bars. Top with half of the chocolate, then add remaining graham crackers and the rest of the chocolate.Sprinkle the rest of the bag of marshmallows over the top of the bars.
- Turn your oven broiler onto high and adjust the oven rack to the second from the top position. Place the bars onto the rack and heat until the marshmallows are golden brown.The total time will depend on your oven. It takes my oven about one minute. Check the marshmallows every 20 seconds, as they can burn quickly.
- Spray the spoon or spatula with nonstick spray before stirring the cereal into the marshmallows. This will help prevent the marshmallow from sticking.
- For clean slicing, spray a knife with nonstick spray before cutting the bars.
- If using a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows, keep the flame at least 2-inches away from the marshmallows so you can control the toastiness level and they do not burn.
Never broil in a glass container! Your photos showing a glass pan will result in a disaster for those following that lead.
Thank you for pointing this out! I have never had a problem using a glass pan since the broiling time is so short. But you are correct that using a metal pan is much less risky.
These were a big hit!! Love this spin on regular rice crispie treats!
Yay! I am so glad that your family enjoyed these treats! Thank you so very much for sharing!!!