Classic Rice Krispie Treats get a makeover with this Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treat recipe! It's the gooey and buttery marshmallow bar that you love, but this time it is studded with mini chocolate chips and soft unmelted marshmallow pieces, making it the ultimate Rice Krispie Treat!
If you are looking for an easy recipe that will be a hit with adults and children alike, these Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats are for you! They take just 10 minutes to make, and because they are so easy, it is a fun recipe that your kids can help you make! This is the perfect twist on a classic favorite that the whole family will enjoy!
These treats have the normal gooey marshmallows that are melted and mixed with the cereal, but then extra marshmallows are added in at the end, which adds texture to the treats. Those unmelted mini marshmallows are my favorite part! And chocolate fans will love the cute little miniature chocolate chips that are sprinkled throughout.
This is a great treat to pack in a lunchbox or to enjoy as an after-school snack! It is also perfect for potlucks and pool parties!
Rice Cereal - For a traditional foundation to these bars, I use the Kellogs brand of Rice Krispies cereal. Generic rice cereal can also be used.
Miniature Marshmallows - The small size of the marshmallows helps them to melt quickly, though a 12-ounce bag of large marshmallows can be used instead.
Mini Chocolate Chips - Semi-sweet chocolate chips are a crowd-pleasing option, though you can use dark chocolate chips if that is your preference. Mini chips are used instead of the regular size so that the chocolate can be spread more consistently throughout the bars and each bit has just the right amount of chocolate.
Butter - I prefer real butter in this recipe, but margarine or your favorite Vegan butter are fine substitutions.
Vanilla Extract - The addition of vanilla boosts the flavor of all of the other ingredients, and makes this taste like a treat that is straight from the bakery!
- Melt the marshmallows and butter
This can be done in a large saucepan, over medium heat. Or if don't want to dirty another dish, just melt them in a microwave-safe bowl that is large enough to mix in the cereal.
Be careful not to overheat the marshmallows, as they will become crispy.
- Stir in the rice cereal
Spray a rubber spatula with nonstick cooking spray so that the melted marshmallows don't stick to them. Then use the spatula to stir in the cereal until it is coated with the marshmallow mixture. It should be mixed in fairly evenly, with no dry cereal or chunks of melted marshmallow.
Let cool for 6-8 minutes before adding the chocolate.
- Add in the chocolate chips and remaining marshmallows
Work quickly to stir in ¾ cup of miniature chocolate chips and the remaining marshmallows. You want them distributed evenly throughought the cereal before they begin to melt.
- Gently press into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Do not press too firmly or the treats will be hard. If desired, sprinkle additional chips on the top.
Important Tip: Allow the Rice Krispie mixture to become cool to the touch before mixing in the chocolate chips. Then work quickly to stir in the chips. If you allow them to sit for too long before stirring in then the residual heat will melt the chocolate and you will end up with brown Rice Krispie Treats.
- If you love the combination of chocolate and marshmallows you will want to try these S'mores Rice Krispie Treats!
- Add a half cup of creamy peanut butter to the melted marshmallow mixture to make these into Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats with chocolate chips.
- Replace the mini chocolate chips with white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or butterscotch chips for even more flavor options!
- If you wish to make the original recipe for Rice Krispie Treats, just leave out the chocolate chips.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store in an airtight container at room temperature. They will keep for 3-5 days. If you are stacking the treats, separate the layers with wax paper or parchment paper so they do not stick together.
It is easy to make your Rice Krispie Treats dairy-free! Use margarine or dairy-free butter along with dairy-free chocolate chips!
If you tried this recipe, please rate and review it so others can see what you thought. Tag me in your photos on Instagram @stateofdinner. I would love to see your dish!!
Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie TreatsRecipe by:
- 7 cups miniature marshmallows (12 ounces, divided)
- ¼ cup salted butter (58 grams)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal (160 grams)
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (180 grams, divided)
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- Place the butter, 5 cups of miniature marshmallows, and vanilla extract into a large stock pan. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted.Alternatively, place in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. If the marshmallows are not yet melted after 1 minute, continue microwaving in 10-second intervals.
- Pour the cereal into the melted marshmallow mixture. Stir until the cereal is completely coated with the marshmallows. Set aside for 6-8 minutes, until the marshmallows are cool to touch.
- Gently stir in the remaining marshmallows and ¾ cup of chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed throughout the cereal mixture.
- Transfer the cereal mixture into the 9x13-inch pan. Using your spatula, gently press into the bottom of the pan, being careful not to pack in too firmly as that will make the bars stiff.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top of the bars. Cool completely.
- Spray the spoon or spatula with nonstick spray before stirring the cereal into the marshmallows. This will help prevent the marshmallow from sticking.
- Work quickly when stirring in the chocolate chips so that they can be mixed in thoroughly before they start to melt.
- For clean slicing, spray a knife with nonstick spray before cutting the bars.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 5 days.