If you love the spice of buffalo sauce along with tender, juicy chicken, then you are going to love these air fryer boneless chicken wings! The seasoned breading and spicy sauce give these wings just the right flavor without having to marinate the meat or deal with the mess of a deep fryer!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, I may receive a small commission when you click through and make a purchase.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
I am pretty sure that there is a requirement that you have to be having fun while you are eating wings. There is just something about messy fingers, spicy sauce, and juicy meat that makes any occasion extra fun!
This healthier version of buffalo wings gives you all of that using a method that is much easier than deep-frying. Plus there are no bones to mess with. It's all of the flavor of your favorite wings without any of the trouble!
Now you don't have to wait for the Super Bowl! These wings can be made up quickly any time you need a little extra fun in your life! It is so easy and delicious, it has become one of our favorite air fryer recipes!
If you love wings and unique, tasty flavors, try these Peanut Butter and Jelly Chicken Wings!
Chicken: This recipe uses boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces similar in size to chicken wings. Boneless chicken thighs could be used if you prefer dark meat, but they may take a few minutes longer to cook.
All-Purpose Flour: I tested this recipe using cornstarch as well as baking powder, to see if I could make these extra crispy chicken wings. There wasn't a noticeable texture difference with these ingredients. All-purpose flour gives a good texture and is a pantry staple.
Butter: This adds richness to the wing sauce, making it taste restaurant-quality!
Hot Sauce: Frank's hot sauce is my favorite to use in this recipe. It has the classic flavors of buffalo sauce that I love.
Preparing the Chicken
- Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch by 2-inch pieces.
- Whisk eggs in a shallow dish (like a pie plate). Coat the chicken with the egg mixture.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, and seasonings in a separate shallow dish.
- Working in batches, remove the chicken from the egg mixture allowing the excess to drip off. Place into the flour mixture and turn to coat well.
Preheat the air fryer to 370°F to help enhance the crispiness of the wings.
Spray the bottom of the basket with your favorite cooking spray. I love to use avocado oil because it is non-aerosol so it is good for the environment, and it is a healthier oil, but you can use your favorite oil spray!
For the best results, place chicken pieces in a single layer in the basket, with a little bit of space between them. Spray chicken with the cooking spray. These won't be quite as crispy as deep-fried chicken wings, but if you spray them with oil it will help build a little crispness.
Start off by cooking for 5 minutes, then flip your chicken and spray them again with oil.
The total cook time will depend on the size of your chicken pieces. After a total of 10 minutes of cook time, check the chicken for doneness. They may take as much as 15 minutes.
Buffalo Wing Sauce Instructions
While the chicken is cooking, mix together the buffalo sauce. It is really simple to make! There are just two ingredients: butter and hot sauce!
Heat in a saucepan over medium-low heat until the butter melts completely.
Once the chicken is fully cooked place them in a bowl, pour buffalo sauce over them and toss with a spoon to coat the chicken pieces. Serve immediately, as they lose crispiness as they sit.
We love to enjoy our buffalo wings with some ranch dressing, but many enjoy blue cheese dressing instead. The classic accompaniment of celery sticks and carrots provides a welcome relief from the building heat of the buffalo sauce.
Wings are also frequently enjoyed with pizza!
Frequently Asked Questions
Buffalo wings will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Buffalo wings can be reheated in the air fryer at 350°F for about 5 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
To bake in the oven, place the boneless buffalo wings in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook for at 375°F for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. For added crispiness, broil for a minute or two before removing from the oven.
If you tried this recipe, please rate and review it so others can see what you thought. Tag me in your photos on Instagram @stateofdinner. I would love to see your dish!!
Air Fryer Boneless Chicken WingsRecipe by:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup hot pepper sauce (like Frank's Hot sauce)
- Avocado oil spray (or your favorite oil spray)
- Cut chicken into large chunks, about 1-inch by 2-inches.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Place the chicken pieces into the eggs and toss to coat.
- In a separate shallow bowl or large zip-top container, mix together the flour, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, and salt.
- Working in small batches, remove the chicken pieces from the eggs and allow the excess egg mixture to drip off. Add the chicken to the flour mixture and toss until the flour is coating the chicken well.
- Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees F. Spray the air fryer basket with avocado oil. Place the chicken in a single layer in the basket and spray lightly with the oil. It is best to leave a little bit of space between each piece of chicken to help them crisp up. You may need to cook them in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then flip over and cook an additional 7-10 minutes, or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken is cooking, place the butter and hot sauce in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the butter has melted.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, transfer to a large bowl and toss with the buffalo sauce.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.