This simple Fluffernutter sandwich is a delightful treat! A New England favorite, creamy peanut butter and marshmallow fluff are spread over white bread. It is a favorite of kids and adults alike!
There are so many good things about the sweet and salty combination of a fluffernutter sandwich. The flavor alone is delicious! Adding in the gooey texture makes it even more of a treat. Reportedly, a fluffernutter sandwich will immediately transport any New Englander back to childhood.
Though I don't think it should be relegated to being a child's food. If it brings a smile to your face, go ahead and make yourself a sandwich! Besides, it has less calories and sugar than your typical jelly. So could you call it a healthy alternative? Okay, that may be a stretch. Especially when you consider that it is almost always made on white bread.
Important Ingredients for a Fluffernutter
Three simple, but very specific ingredients make up our Fluffernutter Sandwich.
- Creamy Peanut Butter - Don't go for the chunky stuff here. A fluffernutter sandwich is all about texture. Creamy, sticky, gooey texture.
- Marshmallow Fluff - My friends in Boston tell me that the only way to make a true Fluffernutter sandwich is with Fluff. That's the jar with a red lid that says "Fluff" in big words across the front. I have a friend who has moved away from Boston and she has her family ship her cases of fluff! If you don't have family in New England then you can order it from Amazon for just a few dollars. (Though marshmallow cream has very similar ingredients, taste, and texture, and can be used in a pinch.)
- White Bread - This is not the time to go on a health kick. White Wonder bread is the way to go!
Step by Step instructions
Step One: Lay Out Two Pieces of White Bread
- Two pieces of white bread, Wonder bread preferred. Nice and simple.
Step Two: Spread Peanut Butter On One Slice
- Take about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and spread it to the edges.
Step Three: Spread Marshmallow Fluff Over the Other Slice
- Do the same thing with the other slice of bread, except this time with fluff instead of peanut butter.
Step Four: Put the Two Pieces of Bread Together, and Enjoy
- Line up the tops and bottoms of each piece of bread, and stick them together.
- Take a big bite! Isn't it delicious?
What to Serve with Fluffernutter Sandwiches
The better question is "What doesn't go well with a Fluffernutter sandwich?" You can enjoy it with just about anything. But our kid-friendly favorites include:
- Carrots, celery, and other easy to eat vegetables
- Fluffernutter Sandwiches are also delicious on their own, as an afternoon snack!
The fluffernutter sandwich is best enjoyed with a big glass of milk!
Tips and FAQs
The most popular variation for a fluffernutter sandwich is using nutella in place of the peanut butter.
Try adding in one of these ingredients:
You can also grill your fluffernutter sandwich. Simply spread melted butter on the outside of each slice of bread, and grill over medium-heat for 3-4 minutes.
Related Recipes and Links
- Fluffernutter Sandwiches were a part of our Massachusetts State Dinner.
- Other Massachusetts recipes include Clam Chowder and Boston Cream Pie.
If you like this recipe, please share it with your friends! And once you taste it, let me know your thoughts by providing a review.
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons marshmallow fluff
- 2 slices white bread
- Spread peanut butter evenly across one side of the bread, all the way to the crust.
- Spread the marshmallow fluff on the other slice of bread, following the same process as you did with the peanut butter.
- Place the two slices together, matching up the top of one slice of bread to the top of the other slice of bread.