This 2-Minute Microwave Simple Syrup recipe is so easy! It mixes right into iced coffee, tea, cocktails, or other cold beverages. No more sugar sitting on the bottom of your glass!
What is Simple Syrup?
The name is also a description of what it is: A simple recipe for syrup! It takes just two ingredients, equal parts water and sugar. Then you heat them up to dissolve the sugar into the water, making it a sweetener in liquid form.
Simple syrup is traditionally made on the stovetop but this microwave method makes it even easier! In just 2-minutes the sugar transforms into a viscous liquid, perfect for adding to your favorite cold drinks!
What Type of Sweetener Can I Use?
Granulated Sugar: White sugar is used in traditional simple syrup. It melts beautifully and is a liquid sweetener without any additional flavors.
Brown Sugar: Using brown sugar gives it a caramel flavor which is delicious in a variety of cocktails! Take a look at my brown sugar syrup recipe to learn more, including the difference between dark brown sugar and light!
Honey: While honey is already a liquid it doesn't mix in very well to drinks. Mixing it with hot water solves this problem! Honey syrup is especially delicious in iced tea!
Artificial Sweetener: If you are looking for a sugar-free version then I recommend using Splenda as your sweeter.
- Add your sugar to a microwave-safe container.
- Pour the water over the sugar and mix well.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Stir and microwave an additional 30 seconds.
How to Use
- In Beverages: Use 1 ½ teaspoons (a quarter ounce) of simple syrup for every teaspoon of sugar that you would put in your beverage. Most cocktails, like this Cranberry Old Fashioned start with a half ounce (3 teaspoons).
- On Cake: Simple syrup is used to lock in the moisture of the cake. Place the cooled syrup in a squeeze bottle and squeeze 1-4 tablespoons of the liquid over the surface of the cake layer.
- In Yogurt: Squeeze into your plain yogurt and top with fresh fruit.
- Fruit Salad: Simple syrup adds sweetness to your fruit salad and also helps to prevent the fruit from turning brown.
- Once the syrup has cooled completely it can be transferred to a mason jar or other airtight container.
- Do not pour the syrup into a storage container while it is still hot, as you will risk causing thermal shock and shattering your glass container.
- Keep refrigerated for the longest shelf life. It will last up to a month in the refrigerator.
- You can add one tablespoon of vodka and it will increase the shelf life to 2-3 months.
- Discard the syrup once it has become cloudy.
Turn your classic syrup into flavored by adding an ingredient immediately after removing it from the microwave. Allow it to cool completely to soak up the flavor of your addition. Remove the ingredient addition before storing your syrup.
Some of my favorite ingredient additions include:
- Whole cinnamon sticks
- Fresh herbs
- Citrus peel or lemon juice
- Vanilla bean or vanilla extract
You can store your syrup on the counter for up to one week, or in the refrigerator for 30 days. See the storage tips section for tips on how to extend the shelf life beyond 30 days.
Yes, the simple syrup can also be made on the stove. Heat the sugar and water in over medium-high heat for several minutes, stirring continuously until the sugar dissolves.
You can make smaller quantities of simple syrup. Be sure to decrease the cooking time as smaller quantities will heat more quickly. It is ready once the sugar has dissolved.
Yes, for a sweeter syrup simply use more sugar. Up to 2 cups of sugar can be used for 1 cup of water. When you add a higher ratio of sugar then your syrup will also be thicker.
Check out the web story for this recipe!
Let me know how you like this recipe by leaving a review! And follow along on Instagram @stateofdinner for behind the scenes and to be among the first to know when new recipes post!
Microwave Simple SyrupRecipe by:
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1 cup water (237 ml)
- Place the granulated sugar in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl or a glass measuring cup with at least a 3-cup capacity.
- Pour the water over the sugar and stir to combine.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Stir the mixture and microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.