This easy Sour Cream Sauce recipe is a simple sauce that is fresh, creamy, and full of flavor. It is the star ingredient in sour cream chicken enchiladas, and since it is such a simple recipe (and so delicious) you will find yourself using it for all kinds of things, like as a dipping sauce for chicken tenders, or drizzled over tacos!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
If you love Mexican food and easy recipes as much as I do then you are really going to love this sauce! It's a perfect match and has become one of my favorite recipes! Maybe it will become yours too!
- Quick: You can make this spicy white sauce in under ten minutes right on your stove.
- Basic Ingredients: This recipe is made using pantry staples so you may not even have to go to the grocery store!
- Versatile: Serve it as a dip with tortilla chips, or as a sauce to dip chicken tenders (or pour over a chicken breast). Or use it as a sour cream enchilada sauce and you will have white chicken enchiladas that rival any Tex Mex restaurant.
- Butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Flour: All-purpose flour thickens the sauce.
- Chicken broth: Bone broth can also be used, or to make your sauce vegetarian you can replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
- Sour cream: Use full-fat sour cream for the creamiest and smoothest sauce, or to lighten it up you can substitute an equal amount of Greek yogurt.
- Jalapeno peppers: Pickled jalapenos add a delicious spice. If you are sensitive to spices you can replace the jalapenos with mild green chiles or leave them out completely.
Step One: Make a Roux
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour and stir continuously. After one minute it should be a very light brown color and turn from clumps to a smooth liquid.
Step Two: Add Chicken Broth
- Add in the chicken broth and continue to stir gently to break up any clumps of the roux.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir frequently until you have a thick sauce, which takes about minutes.
Step Three: Add Remaining Ingredients
- Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool for just a couple of minutes (this helps prevent the sour cream from curdling).
- Stir in the remaining ingredients until they are fully combined, and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
Step Four: Adjust Seasonings
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper, to taste. If I am using a low-sodium chicken broth then I usually add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- You can also add a half teaspoon of garlic powder or a teaspoon of lime juice for another dimension of flavor.
Nachos: Drizzle this delicious white sour cream sauce all over your favorite nacho recipe for an extra kick and burst of flavor.
Enchiladas: This jalapeno sour cream sauce was actually created for an enchilada casserole recipe that has become a family favorite! Top with some fresh tomatoes, chopped cilantro, and avocado for a delicious meal!
Top Chicken: Cover your chicken with the sauce before you bake it or as soon as it comes out of the oven or air fryer. It also makes a delicious dip for chicken strips and chicken nuggets.
Roasted Potatoes: No more boring potatoes here, this is the perfect sauce to drizzle on top of your potatoes.
Tacos: This will become one of your favorite recipes to serve with tacos. No more plain sour cream for your family!
Dip for Quesadillas: We all know quesadillas can be a little on the dry side, try drizzling this creamy sauce over the top or use it to dip as you eat.
Burgers: Say goodbye to mayonnaise on your burgers, and say hello to this homemade sauce instead.
Fish recipes: Salmon burgers, fish sticks, fish fillets, any kind of fish you're having, especially fish tacos, will be perfect with this jalapeno cream sauce on top.
Store your sauce refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Stir well before using.
There are several ways that you can adjust the spice level of your sauce. The easiest way is to add more jalapeno peppers. You can also add hot sauce, salsa verde, chili powder, cayenne pepper, or hot green chiles.
Cheese is a great addition to your sauce. Start with a cup of shredded cheese and stir until the cheese melts completely. Then add a little bit at a time until you have your desired consistency and flavor. I recommend shredded Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Cotija, Swiss Cheese, or any of your favorite soft white cheeses.
A roux is a combination of butter and flour that are cooked and then the liquid is added and this combination provides a thickening base for sauce and gravy.
See the web story for this easy enchilada sauce recipe!
Let me know how you like this recipe by leaving a review! And follow along on Instagram @stateofdinner for behind the scenes and to be among the first to know when new recipes post!
Sour Cream SauceRecipe by:
- ¼ cup butter 28 grams
- ¼ cup all purpose flour 32 grams
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth 473 ml
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno diced
- 1 teaspoon pickled jalapeno juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper (to taste - I use 1 teaspoon Kosher salt & ½ teaspoon black pepper)
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium, then stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes so that the sour cream does not curdle. Then stir in the sour cream, jalapenos, jalapeno juice, and cumin.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add ½ teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon lime juice to add a different dimension of flavor.
- For a cheese sauce, add 1 cup of shredded cheese and stir until completely melted. If you want a cheesier sauce add more cheese a little at a time until you reach your desired flavor and consistenc.y