Adding tangy, zesty flavor to your Corned Beef (and other meat dishes) is easy with this creamy Mustard Sauce recipe. Just whisk together a few simple ingredients and it is ready to serve.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Adds Flavor - The tangy and zesty flavors of mustard and lemon juice make this sauce the perfect accompaniment to corned beef brisket. It cuts through the rich and salty flavors of the beef, creating a delicious balance of flavors.
Simple Ingredients - It's easy to quickly throw this recipe together using simple ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen!
No Cooking - Save the stovetop for your Corned Beef! This recipe is ready in minutes using just a whisk and a bowl.
See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full list of ingredients, including measurements.
Sour cream: This ingredient is the foundation of our creamy sauce. It adds a tangy element and also helps to balance the sharpness of the mustard and lemon juice. If you don't have sour cream, you can substitute it with plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise.
Dijon mustard: The mustard provides a pungent flavor that pairs well with the salty and savory flavors of corned beef. You can substitute Dijon mustard with yellow mustard or whole-grain mustard if you prefer.
Lemon juice: The lemon juice adds a bright and acidic note to the sauce, which helps to cut through the richness of the corned beef. An equal replacement of white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be used.
Spices: Salt, black pepper, and garlic enhance the flavors of the other ingredients. This recipe uses garlic powder but you can replace it with ½ teaspoon of minced garlic.
You don't need a complex set of instructions for this sauce. You literally just put everything into a small bowl, then mix it together.
The total time it takes to make this tangy sauce is literally minutes.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
- Give it a taste. If you want it to have a stronger mustard flavor then add a little more mustard. If you want it brighter or more citrusy then add more lemon juice. And of course, you can add extra salt, pepper, or garlic powder to suit your tastebuds.
- For a thinner sauce replace half of the sour cream with heavy cream.
- If you like a little sweetness, stir in one tablespoon of brown sugar.
There are many other ways to use this creamy mustard sauce beyond pairing it with corned beef. Here are some ideas:
- Use it as a dip for vegetables or crackers.
- Spread it on sandwiches or burgers for extra flavor.
- Serve it as a condiment for grilled or roasted meats, such as chicken, pork, or beef.
- Use it as a dressing for a green salad, or drizzle it over roasted vegetables.
- Serve it alongside fish or seafood, such as salmon or shrimp.
- Use it as a sauce for dipping chicken tenders or nuggets.
- Use it as a marinade for chicken, pork, or beef before grilling or roasting.
Yes, you can make the sauce ahead of time. Keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container and it should stay fresh for up to one week.
I do not recommend that you freeze this sauce. Because it has a sour cream base the texture will completely change the texture of the sauce.
Yes, you can use other types of mustard, such as yellow mustard, stone-ground mustard, spicy brown mustard, or even honey mustard, depending on your personal preference.
Creamy Mustard Sauce for Corned BeefRecipe by:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix the sour cream, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and seasonings together in a small bowl.½ cup sour cream, 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, ⅛ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Taste and add additional mustard, if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.