Inspired by the classic cocktail, this Frozen Mint Brandy Alexander combines brandy, creme de cacao, creme de menthe, and ice cream to make a delicious boozy milkshake!
Posts on this site may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure documents for more information.
The Mint Brandy Alexander is a marriage between two classic cocktails, the Brandy Alexander and the Grasshopper. The only difference between the two is that the Brandy Alexandar has brandy, as you might expect, where the Grasshopper has creme de menthe. So what if you add both the brandy and the creme de menthe to your cocktail? You get an amazing drink that tastes like dessert.
This recipe has 3 ½ ounces of liquor, which sounds like a lot! But the creme de menthe and creme de cacao both have lower alcohol content compared to other liquors, so it ends up being just a tiny bit more than a standard drink. But be careful! Since this tastes like dessert, it can sneak up on you! Here's what is in a Frozen Mint Brandy Alexander:
- Brandy - A distilled wine, usually made from grapes. Typical alcohol volume: 40%
- White Creme de Cacao - Made by distilling cacao beans, this liqueur is very sweet with a strong cocoa flavor. Typical alcohol volume: 20%
- Creme de Menthe - Mint is steeped in grain alcohol and then aged to make this liqueur. Typical alcohol volume: 25%
- Ice Cream - Use a quality ice cream with a higher fat content to produce the creamiest beverage!
- Ice - This creates a frosty consistency that is delightful!
Note: Alcohol volume will vary by brand.
How to Make this Cocktail
Add all of the liquids to the blender. Adding liquids first will help the ice cream blend smoothly.
Add the ice cream.
Place your hand on the top of the lid to hold it securely as you begin to blend.
Start on low speed, then once it has started blending you can increase to puree. This helps prevent too much air from being introduced to the ingredients and helps create a great consistency.
Pour into a martini glass for a traditional presentation, or in a highball glass if you want more of a milkshake look. Dust with cocoa powder, if desired.
Other Cocktails You May Enjoy
Frequently Asked Questions
The more the merrier! Most blenders can handle 4 times the recipe with no problem.
Because alcohol does not freeze, this recipe can be made ahead of time and frozen. It will be thick when you pull it from the freezer. If it is too thick to drink, you can put it back into the blender to mix it up. If you use a higher ratio of ice cream or ice then the drink could freeze solid.
Simply leave the mint out and you have a more traditional Frozen Brandy Alexander!
Frozen Mint Brandy AlexanderRecipe by:
- ½ cup vanilla ice cream
- 1 ½ ounces brandy
- ¾ ounce white creme de cacao
- ¾ ounce creme de menthe
- ¼ cup crushed ice
- Cocoa powder, for garnish
- Place all of the ingredients in your blender.
- Fit the lid onto the blender pitcher and hold your hand on the lid to keep it secure while you turn the blender on low. Once it has blended for about 10 seconds, increase the speed to medium-high, or puree and process until smooth.
- Pour into a martini glass and use a sifter to dust the top with cocoa powder.