Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas are an easy and healthy weeknight meal! This recipe makes tender chicken and vegetables that are perfectly seasoned. Get the flavor of your favorite restaurant’s fajitas in just 15 minutes!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Air fryer fajitas are a fast, flavorful meal that is a hit with the whole family!
Fast: Perfect for a busy weeknight! Just slice the chicken and vegetables and then let them cook to perfection in just 15 minutes.
Tasty: The perfect blend of spices make this a delicious fajita recipe! And the cooking style means that your chicken will be tender and juicy!
Great for Meal Prepping: You will love this recipe if you meal prep! Just cook a big batch then refrigerate in an airtight container. You can add the fajita meat and veggies to lettuce for a salad, make rice for a bowl or burritos, or chop it up for chicken fajita tacos!
The air fryer is a great way to cook healthier meals quickly. Some of my other favorite air fryer recipes are:
Chicken Breasts – Boneless skinless chicken thighs can also be used.
Peppers – I like a mix of red and yellow bell peppers but green bell pepper works well too!
Onions – Yellow peppers add a sweet and caramelly onion flavor. White onions can be used for a stronger onion flavor. Use red onions if you want a more subtle flavor.
Jalapeno – Fresh jalapenos add great flavor to these fajitas, but you can leave them out if you aren’t a jalapeno fan. If you want more spice then add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning – Making your own fajita seasoning mix is so easy and it makes really flavorful fajitas, In a pinch, you can substitute 2-3 tablespoons of store-bought fajita or taco seasoning.
Step One: Mix spices
- Place the salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder in a small bowl and mix to combine.
Step Two: Drizzle olive oil
- Place the chicken breast strips in a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over them.
Step Three: Coat chicken
- Sprinkle the seasonings on top and toss until evenly coated.
Step Four: Cook
- Place the seasoned chicken and your vegetables in the air fryer, filling no more than half full.
- Cook for 15 minutes, mixing halfway through.
- The exact cook time may vary based on your model so it may be done faster or you may need a few extra minutes. Check to make sure that there is no pink meat on the inside, or use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature is above 165°F (74°C).
- Customize your fajitas with your favorite toppings! I love to add shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and fresh Pico de Gallo!
- Drizzle some creamy jalapeno sour cream sauce onto your tortillas for extra flavor!
- Make it a delicious meal with chips and queso, refried beans, and some Mexican Wild Rice.
- Don't forget the margaritas! A Hot Honey Margarita or Texas Margarita would be perfect to enjoy on fajita night!
- Multiply the quantity of the spices to make a large batch of fajita seasoning. Store in an airtight jar with your other spices. This is an easy way to save time in the future! Simply use 2 tablespoons of your homemade fajita seasoning per pound of chicken.
- Warm tortillas are best. You can warm them easily by wrapping in a paper towel and microwaving them for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
To reheat leftovers, preheat your air fryer to 360°F (182°C) then cook the fajitas for about 5 minutes, or until heated through.
This fajita recipe is super flavorful without any marinating. It’s so quick and easy! If you have some extra time you can put your seasoned chicken in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to build a little additional flavor, but it is not necessary.
Yes, chicken in the air fryer will dry out if overcooked, just like if you overcook chicken in an oven. For best results, cook to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Fajitas are traditionally served with pico de gallo and shredded cheese. Many people love to add sour cream and guacamole as well.
Take a look at the web story for this fajita recipe!
Let me know how you like this recipe by leaving a review! And follow along on Instagram @stateofdinner for behind the scenes and to be among the first to know when new recipes post!
Air Fryer Chicken FajitasRecipe by:
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast sliced into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow onion sliced into thin strips
- 2 jalapeno peppers (optional), sliced into thin strips
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
- Preheat your air fryer to 390°F (198°C).
- Mix the spices in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken in a medium bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the chicken and stir to coat the chicken evenly.
- Transfer the seasoned chicken to the basket of your air fryer. Add the bell peppers, onions, and jalapeno peppers. Fill the basket no more than half full.
- Cook for 15 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Before serving, squeeze lime juice over the chicken and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with tortillas and desired toppings, like cheese, sour cream, and pico de gallo.
- Leave out the jalapeno for a more mild fajita. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to increase the heat.
- Use white onions for a stronger onion flavor and red onions for a mild flavor.
- 2-3 tablespoons of fajita seasoning can be used in place of the spices.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat in a 360°F(182°C) air fryer for 5 minutes, or until heated through.